index‎ > ‎Life‎ > ‎Musical Institutions‎ > ‎

Escola Municipal de Música

1886-1896
http://www.joseprodoreda.cat/?p=55

The "Escola Municipal de Música" of Barcelona was founded in 1886 as a music school linked to the Banda Municipal de Música de Barcelona. Its first director was Joseph Rodoreda in 1896 and was replaced by Antonio Nicolau ten years later. Composers such as Enric Morera, Lluís Millet and Joaquim Zamacois have occupied positions in the course of its history.

The conservatory was installed at the corner of the Carrer Bruc/Valencia in 1928, and still occupies that space. After the Civil War the school became Conservatory Superior, governed by the curriculum of 1966, until 2001, the Department of Education of the Generalitat of Catalonia was redirected towards a higher degree the ESMuC (Superior School of Music of Catalonia), leaving the Conservatory training to the intermediate level.